My baby sister Jessica is a freshman at BYU. A couple of weeks ago she starting have really bad headaches. These headaches progressed and pretty soon were unbearable. She also had pounding in one ear, and half her tongue was numb. She went to the ER at BYU and not even a morphine drip helped with the pain. No one knew what was wrong with her. My parents flew her home to see doctors here and after she was admitted to the hospital they were finally able to diagnose her with a brain infection, and an abscess in the infratemporal fossa. 17 doctors came to see Jessica during her eight days in the hospital. Brain surgery was a huge consideration, but the doctors said it wasn't fair to do to a 17 year old girl, unless they had exercised every other option. While the surgery could be successful, it could leave her face crippled. Many, many prayers were said on her behalf, and our family experienced a miracle. The morning the surgery was scheduled, the abscess had shrunk and surgery wasn't needed. She was able to have a PIC (peripheral inserted central) line put in and finally come home from the hospital. She is on lots of antibiotics, and will be for a few more weeks, but we are so grateful for this outcome. Thank you for all those who helped pray for her. We love you Jess. We now tease her that she is a college dropout on drugs!
Before inserting the PIC line. She was a little nervous!

Getting all set up. It has be to a sterile environment.

It was my job to help distract Jess during the procedure. I told her all sorts of funny stories about Audrey, but sometimes I got distracted and wanted to watch. She obviously, did not.
Finally all done. They don't usually let people in the room during the procedure, but since Jessica is still 17 and considered a pediatric patient, they let my Mom, Dad and me stay in the room. The whole thing took over an hour. We all had to wear masks. I ate a blue cheese burger for lunch and my own breath was killing me!


We are so glad you are feeling better and get to be home. Thank you Memor and Fafa for watching Audrey so I could be at the hospital so much. It is greatly appreciated.
16 comments:
Wow!! I hope she gets better soon and has a full recovery. We will keep her in our prayers.
Oh my gosh! That's terrible that it happened, but what a blessing that everything is working out ok. We'll keep her in our prayers.
Jessica!!! so good to see your cute face...even though a nervous one. Hope they will quit "PIC..ing" on you real soon. One more BIG Thankful we have to add thanks for you being okay and your continued recovery. Glad you are home around your great loving family....not to mention those adorable nieces!!!!! love to you cutie....janna (aka Memor)
Um... who else can look as darling as Jessica after being in the hospital in excruciating pain for days and days? Way to be Jess! Mags and I are so happy that you're getting better and better.
Omg, thank GOD she's fine! We were all worried and praying for her! Love you girls!!!
I am so glad to hear that your sister is doing better and didn't have to have the surgery--how scary. You don't hear about brain infections very often. So glad she is okay. --krista
I might have to copy your post. I'm so glad you were able to be there with her. I'm missing you guys. Wish it was last week!
I am so glad to hear that everything is going well now! How scary!
Wow. That is amazing. I hope she continues to get better quickly. How lucky of her to have such a loving and caring family to take care of her, and a sister who's brave enough to be there during such a scary procedure. What a blessing for your family!
That really is a complete miracle. Your sister is so brave. That all looks so scary. But did she get to see any McDreamy's while she was there? :)
Oh my goodness, I am so glad that things are going better. How scary! It's amazing to hear about and see the modern miracles that we have in these days! What a wonderful blessing! I hope that she is doing well! We send all of our love!
thanks shelb for everything you've done for me. You have been so sweet and I'm lucky to have such great people to take care of me. Mom was sad she didn't have a camera to take a picture when they took it out, but that wasn't nearly as impressive.
ps. i think this one wins for worst picture. regans doesnt even come close to this. love you!
I am glad to hear things went well! We will pray that they continue to do so!
Holy Moly. How does things like that happen? So glad she is okay...and that you could be there for her. What a good big sis!
(and I would vote for the McSteamy Addi!)
Michelle, it's great to see your blog and catch up via the internet! I found you via Paula's blog...I can't believe it's been what 5 years since you moved to SF?! Wow, time flies. It seems like such a short time ago we had you in our home for the Alice Waters pizza party. Anyway, I am happy your sister is okay. Scary. It was a smart move to fly her home. The healthcare here is not very good overall. I had the pleasure of a PICC line for 5 weeks during this last (3rd) pregnancy. No fun at all...especially with kids. Your sister was brave. Thank heavens she is okay!
Okay, I realize you've been in the moving process, and life has been hectic, but we're going on a month here with no updates. Throw me a bone here.
Post a Comment